fluffy pancake recipe america’s test kitchen
America’s Test Kitchen Fluffy Pancake Recipe
America’s Test Kitchen is known for its rigorous testing of recipes to come up with the best version possible. Their recipe for fluffy pancakes is no exception. In this recipe, we’ll show you how to make the ultimate fluffy pancakes, as perfected by America’s Test Kitchen.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until well combined.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, milk, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Be careful not to overmix the batter.
- Let the batter sit for 10 minutes to allow the baking powder to activate and create air pockets in the batter, resulting in extra fluffy pancakes.
- Heat a nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat. Once the pan is hot, lightly brush it with vegetable oil or coat it with cooking spray.
- Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to scoop the batter onto the hot skillet or griddle. Use the back of the measuring cup to gently spread the batter into an even layer.
- Cook until the edges of the pancake begin to set and the surface begins to bubble, about 2-3 minutes.
- Use a spatula to flip the pancake and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, until the other side is golden brown.
- Repeat with the remaining batter, brushing the pan lightly with oil between batches.
- Serve the pancakes warm with your favorite toppings such as butter, syrup, whipped cream, or fresh fruit.
- Use buttermilk in the recipe as it adds a tangy flavor and helps to activate the baking powder.
- Letting the batter rest for 10 minutes is important as it allows the baking powder to create air pockets in the batter, resulting in extra fluffy pancakes.
- Use a nonstick pan or griddle to ensure that the pancakes don’t stick and cook evenly.
- Don’t press down on the pancakes while cooking as this can make them dense.
- If the batter seems too thick, add a bit more milk to thin it out. If it seems too thin, add a bit more flour to thicken it up.
This America’s Test Kitchen fluffy pancake recipe is the ultimate version of this classic breakfast staple. With a few simple ingredients and techniques, you can make pancakes that are extra fluffy, tender, and delicious. Follow the tips and techniques carefully, and you’ll be rewarded with pancakes that are the envy of all your friends and family. Customize the recipe with your favorite toppings and enjoy a breakfast or brunch that will leave you satisfied and happy.