fluffy dutch pancake recipe
If you’re looking for a unique and delicious pancake recipe, try making a Dutch pancake, also known as a German pancake or a Dutch baby. This recipe yields a large, puffy pancake that is crispy on the edges and soft and custardy in the middle. It’s perfect for a special breakfast or brunch, and it’s easy to customize with your favorite toppings.
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, flour, milk, sugar, vanilla extract, and salt until smooth and well-combined. The batter will be thin.
- Melt the butter in a 10-inch oven-safe skillet or a 9-inch cake pan over medium heat. Swirl the butter to coat the bottom and sides of the pan.
- Pour the batter into the pan and transfer it to the preheated oven.
- Bake the pancake for 18-20 minutes, or until it is puffy and golden brown on the edges.
- Remove the pancake from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes. The pancake will deflate slightly as it cools.
- Slice the pancake into wedges and serve it warm with your favorite toppings, such as powdered sugar, fresh berries, whipped cream, maple syrup, or lemon juice.
- You can add a pinch of ground cinnamon or nutmeg to the batter for extra flavor.
- To make a savory version of the pancake, omit the sugar and vanilla extract and add 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper and 1/2 cup of grated cheese to the batter. Top the pancake with cooked bacon or ham and chopped scallions.
- If you don’t have an oven-safe skillet, you can transfer the batter to a greased baking dish before baking.
- You can double the recipe to make a larger pancake, but you’ll need a larger skillet or baking dish.
- Don’t open the oven door while the pancake is baking, as this can cause it to collapse.
- Be careful when removing the hot skillet from the oven and when slicing the pancake, as it will be very hot.
This Dutch pancake recipe is a unique and impressive breakfast or brunch option that is easy to make and customizable to your tastes. The key to achieving a fluffy and puffy pancake is to use a hot oven and to resist the urge to open the oven door while the pancake is baking. The batter can also be customized with your favorite spices or mix-ins, such as chocolate chips or chopped nuts. So, give this recipe a try and enjoy a delicious and impressive breakfast treat.