easy japanese fluffy pancake recipe
How to Make Japanese Fluffy Pancakes at Home: A Step-by-Step Guide
Japanese fluffy pancakes, also known as souffle pancakes, are a popular breakfast item that originated in Japan. These pancakes are light, fluffy, and incredibly delicious. They are made with simple ingredients that you can find in any grocery store, and with this easy recipe, you can make them at home. Let’s get started!
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Maple syrup, for serving
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, milk, and vanilla extract until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and sugar.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Soft peaks are when the egg whites are frothy and hold their shape when the whisk is lifted.
- Fold the egg whites into the batter until fully incorporated. Be gentle and don’t overmix, as this can deflate the egg whites.
- Heat a non-stick pan over low to medium heat. Grease the pan with melted butter.
- Scoop the batter into the pan using a ladle. Make sure not to fill the pan completely, as the pancakes will rise while cooking.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let the pancakes cook for 5-7 minutes. The lid helps to trap the steam and makes the pancakes rise.
- After 5-7 minutes, gently flip the pancakes over and cook for another 5-7 minutes, uncovered.
- Remove the pancakes from the pan and dust with powdered sugar. Serve with maple syrup.
Tips for Fluffy Pancakes:
- Separate the eggs: It’s important to separate the egg yolks and egg whites, as this helps the pancakes to rise.
- Use a non-stick pan: Using a non-stick pan will prevent the pancakes from sticking and make flipping them easier.
- Cover the pan with a lid: Covering the pan with a lid helps to trap the steam and make the pancakes rise higher.
- Be gentle when folding in the egg whites: It’s important to be gentle when folding in the egg whites, as this helps to keep the pancakes light and fluffy.
- Don’t overmix the batter: Overmixing the batter can deflate the egg whites and result in dense pancakes.
Japanese fluffy pancakes are a delicious and unique breakfast item that you can make at home. With this easy recipe and a few simple tips, you can make perfectly fluffy pancakes that will impress your family and friends. Remember to separate the eggs, use a non-stick pan, cover the pan with a lid, be gentle when folding in the egg whites, and don’t overmix the batter. Serve with powdered sugar and maple syrup, and enjoy!