best japanese fluffy pancake recipe
Japanese fluffy pancakes, also known as soufflé pancakes, are a popular breakfast item in Japan and have gained popularity around the world for their fluffy texture and light taste. If you’re looking to recreate this culinary delight in your own kitchen, look no further than this easy-to-follow Japanese fluffy pancake recipe!
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Non-stick cooking spray
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, milk, and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Sift the cake flour and baking powder into the bowl, and whisk gently until the batter is smooth.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the beaten egg whites into the batter, using a rubber spatula. Be careful not to overmix, as this will deflate the egg whites and reduce the fluffiness of the pancakes.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan or griddle over low heat. Spray the surface with non-stick cooking spray.
- Use a ladle or large spoon to scoop the batter onto the pan or griddle, making pancakes that are about 4 inches in diameter.
- Cover the pan or griddle with a lid and cook for about 5 minutes, or until the pancakes have risen to about double their original height.
- Use a spatula to gently flip the pancakes, and cook for another 2-3 minutes on the other side.
- Serve the pancakes hot, with your favorite toppings, such as butter, syrup, fruit, or whipped cream.
Tips for making the perfect Japanese fluffy pancakes:
- Use a non-stick frying pan or griddle to prevent the pancakes from sticking.
- Be sure to beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form, as this is what creates the fluffy texture of the pancakes.
- Don’t overmix the batter, as this can deflate the egg whites and reduce the fluffiness of the pancakes.
- Use a low heat setting to cook the pancakes slowly, allowing them to rise to their full height.
- Covering the pan or griddle with a lid helps to trap steam and create a lighter texture.
- Use a spatula to gently flip the pancakes, being careful not to break them apart.
- Serve the pancakes hot, as they tend to deflate as they cool.
Why this recipe works:
This recipe works because it uses a combination of egg whites and cake flour to create the light and fluffy texture that Japanese fluffy pancakes are known for. By separating the eggs and beating the egg whites until stiff peaks form, you create a meringue that provides the structure for the pancakes to rise and hold their shape. The cake flour is lower in gluten than regular flour, which also contributes to the tender texture of the pancakes.
By gently folding the egg whites into the batter, you ensure that the meringue is evenly distributed throughout the batter, creating a consistent fluffiness in each pancake. Cooking the pancakes slowly over low heat and covering the pan or griddle with a lid helps to trap steam and create a lighter texture.
In summary, this Japanese fluffy pancake recipe is a simple and delicious way to recreate the popular breakfast item in your own kitchen. With just a few simple ingredients and some basic cooking techniques, you can create light and fluffy pancakes that are sure to impress. So why not give it a try and see how easy and delicious it can be to make Japanese fluffy pancakes at home